Friday, September 26, 2008

A quick catch up...

Ok lets catch up with my week....
Friday 19th:
Some international students and i went to celebrate Ted's bday. It was actually quite fun. First we went to a tepinyake restaurant (a type of Japanese restaurant, which you should def try!!) --> the food was exquisite, i was actually really impressed, even if we had to eat weird things... The only fallback was the bill... we had to pay like 170RMB (which is about $25 dollars....!!!!), and i find that super expensive, specially when you are used to school meals which cost about $2.... LOL.... well anyways after the Tepinyake restaurant we went to this sick place for karaoke.. it was sooo nice… I honestly felt we were at the wrong place… I was thinking “why are we in a hotel??”... and the washrooms had NORMAL toilets (which is very hard to find here in china!!!) … apparently what we paid for one private karaoke room was about 1000RMB (approx $200) for the three hours we were there (of course if we would have stayed less it would have been cheaper), so is a good deal when lots of ppl come... afterwards we went to this club, which I forget the name… the entrance which was 50RMB (just under $10CAD) – which I couldn’t afford because I didn’t know the Tepinyake restaurant was going to cost me so much!, so my friend covered for me, which was very nice of him— the club itself inside was pretty modern and nice. And on the way home we stopped at McDonalds (of course, we had to eat after all this alcohol consumption)…. I ended up getting home about 5:30am…

Saturday 20th:
I had planned to go to the zoo with some friends at 9… haha…. After the night before I was not only totally trashed, but I was sooooooo tired… in all that tiredness and still feeling intoxicated I went to the zoo (yes I was late for our meeting time like 15 min, but I really couldn’t help it)… it was not until like 11 I felt sober and fully awoken… apart from the cruelty to some of these animals, it was undeniably the highlight of the weekend/week… I love animals so much!!! And I got to see PANDAS for the first time in my life!!! I also got to take a photo with a REAL chimpanzee!!... it was so kewl!
The zoo is located in downtown Beijing, and the zoo itself was bigger than I expected… That is until I was told it was the biggest one in China, and all I could think of was: WHAT??? This is the smallest zoo I have been too!... some animals have really limited space –even some of the pandas— specially the wolfs and some of the canines. It made me feel really bad…
We paid a fee of 10RMB to see approx 10 penguins… it was by far the biggest rip-off…. Yes I know it is only $1.50 but when you live in China it seems like a lot more money. These penguins were not only in an area which had no ice, but the swimming water they had was a thick whitish blue colour that does not seem swimmable… poor little creatures… so sad.. I mean if we have to pay extra cover to see the penguins, shouldn’t they have a more suitable area for them??? I think so….
Before we were finished seeing all these creatures it started to rain like crazyyyyy… (thank God I remembered to bring my umbrella just in case) and it didn’t stop until I got home... btw I had left my bike at the university (that was the meeting point) so I rode my bike home… yes in the pouring rain, so when I got home I was basically showered…

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday:
Sunday and Monday were basically the same routine… go to Chinese courses and business courses… go home, and do some homework/procrastinate….
Tuesday night on the other hand Sam (USA)/, Lars (Germany), and I went to have dinner at like 9pm at a western pizza place… the pizza was actually pretty good, I was delighted that for once the western food didn’t have a Chinese seasoning twist to it… We also drank some beer and I had a martini (symbolizing the ‘Skyy cinematic moments’—a video we saw in class about the company Skyy), I also learned how to say martini in Chinese 马提你就 –matini jiu- it will be very useful for next time.

Wednesday 24th :
Due to the alcohol consumed the night before and the fact I arrived ‘late’ home, I decided to not go to class… so I just slept the whole morning pretty much and in the afternoon I went shopping for some necessities. I got a winterish jacket, two pairs of sneakers, and a backpack.

Thursday 25th:
I didn’t have classes because the only class I had was cancelled, so I went shopping again with Bianca. I got some other things I needed and some extras lol. I spent about $120 CAD, and I got: two hoodies, a pair of boots (I was supposed to buy winterish boots to keep me warm, and I ended up buying something fancy instead.. haha on my..), a belt, and three very nice scarves. Sick eh? All that for such little money.. it was beyond doubt a win-win situation.

Friday 26th:
Today I wasn’t feeling very good.. I had to stay home and not go to school. It was unquestionably something I ate yesterday!! :(… my poor stomach and my poor self… but its ok, I got to sleep quite a bit… now I keep procrastinating and I really should be doing some catching up/business homework… so I’m going to discipline myself and actually do it… so tata…

XoXo








My favourite animal -jaguar- in
a 2mX2mX2m cage!!! :( ... so cruel!!














Smth i forgot to mention. There were people throwing food inside the bear's cage IN PLASTIC WRAPPING!! hello?? are these ppl retarded???












2 comments:

MichL said...

Yay you went to a Zoo! That's awesome. When you were describing thier living conditions it made me sad, I hope they at least get fed well (and not just plastic wrapped food from stupid tourists).
Another yay for shopping! Sounds like you got a lot of nice things,I'm surprised at how affordable it all was in comparison to the expenses you've had while going out. I can't believe a karoake bar cost you all 200 dollars for three hours, thats absurd. I can't even imagine a place charging that much. So was the club different than here? What kind of music do they play? Did you dance with any chinese boys? lol Just kidding. To me its so neat that you're getting to experience these things in CHINA! lol I'm still not over that. Well I hope you're feeling better and thanks for sharing your adventures in China!

xoxoxo

Unknown said...

so cute! oh I love pandas!
Here I bought a cuddly panda bag (L) that I can hardly put it down!
I believe it is a GREAT find for every panda fanatic!
hkpanda.freetzi.com
Flor
floreshayes@gmail.com